Guilford Smith Memorial Library loves receiving donations! They help to build our collection, and they help our book sale fundraiser. But to make donating effective, we ask all prospective donors to review our policy. Here are the highlights. The full policy can be found here.
- We ask that you do not leave any donations outside of the library. Being left outside can cause water or pest damage, ruining the books.
- Please only donate items that are in good condition. We cannot use items that have been damaged by water, mold, smoke, pets, or other critters.
- Please make sure that you sort through your donations and look for any loose items that you may want to keep – it can be hard, if not impossible, to get those back to you!
While sorting, please think about what would benefit the library. A good rule of thumb is to ask yourself “would I pay for this” before you donate.
- The following are items that we do not accept:
– VHS tapes
– medical, computer, or science books more than 10 years old
– dictionaries, encyclopedias, or thesauruses
- It is the policy of the library to accept gifts without qualification, and with the understanding, that upon receipt, all materials become the property of the library. The library reserves the right to determine location, retention, cataloging treatment, and other considerations related to use, display, or disposition of all materials.
A donation does not guarantee that items it will be added to the collection. Items may be put in our book sale, sent to sale at Thrift Books, given away as prizes, used for crafts, or any other number of ways the library sees fit.
Thank you for helping us, and thank you for your cooperation!